Sunday, July 18, 2021

3D Art III: Portfolio Three Week One

 Research and Beginning Modeling

Since the plan for this was to have my research component be the nanite meshes in UE5, I looked into it beginning this week. I wanted to make sure that anything that needed to be done to the mesh, I was keeping in mind during the entire process.

I read the documentation and watched several videos on nanites, the most helpful one being the talk that Epic gave about it themselves. I wanted to be able to texture it and wasn't sure how that would happen if I wasn't doing retopology. Their workflow is to use Quixel Mixer, which can handle the one million+ polygon models. I've also used Mari before which is used more in film pipelines, and read that that software can also handle more dense models, so that would be another option. The programs support vertex color, but I couldn't find if UE5 did, so I'm going to need UVs too. My plan is to get the smooth mesh preview to polygons in Maya, then auto-unwrap that, and then just not use dynamesh or decimate the model so that I can keep the UVs on the high-poly.

I've started on the torso and hope to have the base mesh done by next week. I've been using the polygon tool to make these different parts but I'm not sure if I need them to be one continuous surface or if I can get away with having tons of little pieces.












I tend to underestimate hard-surface stuff and I'm already a little behind because I wanted to have the torso done by this week.




No comments:

Post a Comment