Sunday, April 25, 2021

3D Art II: Module Four Week Fifteen

 Game Resolution, UVs, First Bake

I had to play catch-up this week, since I was going to pivot from the water shader and tech art stuff to make a custom fish for the fish school, so that the model fit the art style better. I used some concept art for World of Warcraft to work from. I did the catfish, bottom right.

I took a rough box-modeled mesh I made in Maya to establish shape and scale and brought it into ZBrush. Since we're aiming for Michael Vicente/Orb/Blizzard style assets, I used his brush pack, mostly Orb_Cracks2 and the Flatten_EdgeProtect brush. I tried to use the flatten brush on edges on the surface, since a lot of Michael Vicente's work looks like it has this really thin bevel along any area that would come to a really sharp edge.




For retopology, I got it to around 5.2k tris. I may add a few more around the fins, since I ran into some issues in the first bake in those areas.





First bake:





Initial textures:




In engine:



I'd like to keep working on the textures and make a few more masks for the fins to see what kind of movement I can get. I'd also like to try to make some color variations for the fish school, which I may be able to do through the material instead of making a unique map.

No comments:

Post a Comment