Thursday, September 3, 2020

Common Art: Week One

 Use of Basic Shapes

I'm not that great at Photoshop or 2D stuff at this point, and definitely found myself relying on Maya as much as possible. For my references, I focused on two pieces by Sparth:


I wanted to model this ship, but I really liked the color scheme of the landscape, and wanted to use that for my reinterpretation.

I did my blockout:





And here's where I think I cheated: I rendered out a normal map, AO map, and a metal map and used them as layers in Photoshop. I used the AO as a Multiply and the reflective map as an Overlay. The normal map I used as my base color after messing with the hue and color balance.



I wish I had had more time to model some of the smaller structures and add more linework, but I think I learned a lot.






No comments:

Post a Comment