Monday, September 7, 2020

3D Art: Module One Week Two

 Minecraft-ish Level

For this assignment, we made textures to use with the materials we were making in Unreal. I ended up with a dirt texture, a tree trunk texture, a water texture, and a leaf texture. For the dirt, tree trunk, and water I also wanted to add an emissive layer to it.

My original plan with the emissive was to export a targa file with the color information and an alpha to block out what I didn't want emissive. But I couldn't get it to work for whatever reason, so I separated out the alpha and used it separately, then multiplied the alpha and my diffuse texture together.

The parameter thing was an awakening for me; one thing that frustrated me about material instances was that I couldn't change certain things I wanted to and so I ended up just making a new material. I finally understand the usefulness of material instances. I made the diffuse and alpha texture a parameter, along with the emissive multiplier.

My idea was an island in the sky, and I collected a few references:


This is what I came up with.





Mannequin for scale





I learned during the last Unreal project that emissive materials don't actually produce light, so I added point lights along the surface of the waterfall and had the light color match the water's color.

No comments:

Post a Comment